Cranbourne Hall Park fire: Police launch investigation into explosions

POLICE and fire chiefs are investigating how a ‘huge’ fire which has left one man in hospital started at a residential park near Windsor.

A section of Cranbourne Hall Park was ablaze in the early hours of Saturday (January 2) morning after residents reported an explosion in a caravan.

Having arrived at the scene at around 3.30 am, emergency services discovered a mobile home had caught fire and had spread to a nearby van.

One man in his sixties remains in hospital following the incident, which Thames Valley Police say they are investigating.

IN FULL: One man taken to hospital after ‘huge’ blaze at residential park

A spokesperson said: “Thames Valley Police was called at around 3.30 am on Saturday (2/1) to a report of a fire at Cranbourne Hall Park.

“Officers attended, alongside the fire and ambulance service.

“One man, aged in his sixties, was taken to hospital where he remains.

Royal Borough Observer:

“A joint investigation to establish the circumstances of this incident is ongoing.”

The Public Protection Partnership, which oversees licensing issues within Bracknell Forest, was also asked if it was carrying out any investigations into the incident.

Kevin Gibbs, a director at Bracknell Forest Council, said in response: “The Public Protection Service is aware of the incident at Cranborne Hall Park and has been in touch with colleagues from Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Royal Borough Observer:

“ At this time this a matter for RBFRS and Thames Valley Police but the service will assist those agencies in any way it can.”

The explosions shook residents, with one telling the News the resulting fire was “horrendous”.

READ MORE: Mixed views from local MPs in response to third lockdown

One man, Jon, who is a resident at the park near Windsor, said he called 999 to alert the emergency services to the incident.

Describing the scene, he said: “I was sat awake in my front room where an orange glow caught my eye through the glass on my front door.

“[It was] almost immediately followed by a loud explosion which shook my home.

Royal Borough Observer:

“That’s when I opened the door and saw the blaze and called the emergency services straight away.

“The hardest part of it all was the waiting for the services to arrive watching the fire continue to spread and not knowing if the people around the area were safe.

“To the credit of the emergency services, what felt like a long time was in fact only 10 minutes to get to the scene.

READ MORE: You must do these things to visit local tips during third national lockdown

“The only thing going through our minds at the time was hoping everyone made it out safely.”

Fire crews tackled the blaze for more than four hours, and the ambulance Service remained on scene until around 6am.

Royal Borough Observer | News WIndsor