An ‘enchanting’ pink cottage once owned by the Duke of Gloucester is on the market.
North Lodge in St Leonards Hill was home to the Duke of Gloucester in the 1770s. He set about improving the country house in 1773 after he had been banished from parliament for a scandal involving his brother secretly marrying Lady Waldegrave.
The Duke later sold his estate for the sum of around £10,000 and by the 1900s the main house had become a ruin.
North Lodge, which was once a cottage to the manor house, is in more than half an acre of land, it has six bedrooms, six bathrooms, and four receptions rooms and it has kept some of its renaissance-style characteristics from the late 1700s.
There are some unusual features such as an octagonal kitchen and breakfast room, a stone fireplace, and a garage with four entrances.
North Lodge is at the very end of one of the most sought-after private roads.
Sign up for our newsletter and get the top stories from BerkshireLive delivered straight to your inbox