Windsor & Maidenhead ‘on the cusp’ of entering Tier 2

THE Royal Borough has narrowly avoided being put in tier two lockdown – but it is still “on the cusp” of tighter restrictions, council and government chiefs have warned.

The leader of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, Cllr Andrew Johnson, said he asked the government to keep the Royal Borough in the medium alert level for now pending further review – which the government agreed to.

A total of 209 new cases of coronavirus were diagnosed in Windsor and Maidenhead last week – an increase of 49 on the previous week, according to the BBC.

The total number of confirmed cases now stands at 1,201.

READ MORE: Slough enters Tier 2 as Covid-19 cases rise at an ‘alarming rate’

However, Cllr Johnson warned residents shouldn’t be “complacent” and continue to follow the guidance to stop the spread and avoid tier two – or ‘high’ alert, which would see new restrictions on households mixing in homes and hospitality venues.

He said: “Our numbers are such that we remain on the cusp of tier two and all the additional restrictions on our lives this would bring.”

He added: “We will keep the situation under constant review and any decisions on further restriction will be based upon data, the expert advice of our dedicated public health professionals, and liaison with government.

“The Royal Borough is now regularly publishing local data so that residents can see and appreciate the trends that are guiding our decision making.” 

READ MORE: Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead: Latest Covid-19 case numbers and deaths

Although welcoming the Chancellor of the Exchequer’s announcement for supporting businesses impacted by further restrictions, the council leader said he will continue to listen to the fears and pressures local businesses they are under and will continue to lobby government for additional business support.

Cllr Johnson also said the Royal Borough has asked for more local test and trace support to “pinpoint” sources of infection and take a “risk-based approach” to any restrictions.

He urged residents to help avoid placing the Royal Borough in tier two by continuing to follow the guidance and to wash hands regularly, wear a face covering, follow social distancing, follow the rule of six both indoors and outdoors, and self-isolate and get tested if symptoms show.

He said: “It is imperative we all understand the risk to public health and the local economy this virus poses.

“We can stop the spread and we can help avoid further restrictions. Following the public health advice will help us protect our local businesses.”

Neighbouring Slough will enter tier two on Saturday due to high infection rates.

Royal Borough Observer | News WIndsor